Despite the fact that hearing loss is on the rise around the word, it worryingly goes undiagnosed in many cases. Now that treatment for hearing loss is cheaper than before there is no excuse not to get tested, for example, there are now lots of affordable digital hearing aids. There are many different reasons and causes for hearing loss, the most common cause of hearing loss is the ageing process which often occurs in the higher frequencies. On the whole hearing loss which happens due to old age is also influenced by exposure to loud noises through your lifetime, genetics, and your overall health.
When people start to lose their hearing due to age it can occur at different rates to others and affect everyone differently. One thing that everyone has in common is that hearing loss occurs gradually. It occurs so gradually that many people don’t actually realize that they have hearing loss.
It is important to see a specialist the second you think that you are suffering from hearing loss. The sooner you have your hearing loss diagnosed and treated, the better. As already mentioned, hearing loss occurs gradually, this leads people to find ways to compensate without ever realizing they are doing it. Here is a list of common signs of hearing loss:
- You find it difficult to hear people when speaking on the telephone.
- You have difficulty following a conversation when two people are talking at the same time.
- People complain that you have the volume of the TV too loud.
- You struggle to hear conversations.
- You have difficulty hearing in noisy environements.
- You find yourself saying ‘what’ a lot.
- People always mumble, they don’t speak clearly.
- You often misunderstand what people say.
- You find it difficult to hear women and children
- You get frustrated with other people because you can’t hear them properly.
If you have any of the above problems then you should go and have your hearing tested by a professional. There are a number of different choices out there for you to choose from when it comes to treating hearing loss, I am sure that one of the choices will be ideal for and may even change your life. Using a hearing aid and being able to hear the world again clearly has already brought a new lease of life to so many people.